[Kernel-meetup] Build Process for centos/fedora from the source

Amit Kucheria amit.kucheria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 23:54:29 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
<sid at reserved-bit.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2017 11:57 PM, jitendra kumar khasdev wrote:
>>     Thanks for it, but I do not want only linux kernel to be compiled.
>>     Along with
>>     linux kernel other packages + grub club into distributed format and
>>     get an iso.
>>
>>     eg. fedora_my_distrubution == fedora kernel (a fork) + pakages (a
>>     fork) + boot loader + my rpm
>>     etc. --> ISO
>
> That sounds like something you'll have to do from scratch, although I
> found this from a quick search that might help:
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

Jitendra,

You're basically talking about bootstrapping a distro, I think. Is
this a one-time effort or something you want to do on an ongoing
basis? The latter is a very involved process requiring lots of
compilation and storage resources, a sophisticated build queue manager
that can rebuild when package dependencies change so that you have a
consistent set of packages.

This article[1] talks about a lot of things you need to know about
building your own distro. You also have to keep in mind Trademarks and
Copyrights. You can't just recompile your own version of Debian and
still call it Debian, for example. So there are a handful of packages
where you'll need to change default wallpapers and other branding
related things.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Amit