[Kernel-meetup] Pune Kernel meetup May 2017 [Meeting minutes]

Pankaj Gupta pagupta at redhat.com
Sun May 28 23:34:35 PDT 2017

Hello,

Thanks all for attending this months kernel meetup.
Around 15 people attended the May kernel meetup which
happened in Reserved-Bit. Also, we had some good
discussions on various topics:

Meet-up started with talk on 'Overview of Power management'
by 'Amit Kucheria' and discussion went on various subsystems
related with performance and throughput on different architectures.

Also, Amit shared how different working groups solved various
problems upstream and now all the architectures are now getting
benefited with the effort.

Some of the topics which Amit touched are:

* SOC Architecture
* Power vs Performance
* Power and thermal effect
* CPUfreq, CPUIdle and other regulator
* C states and performance effect
* Cache impact with different C-states
* Memory and power management
* CPUfreq vs CPUIdle
* Dynamic Ticks
* CPU Hotplug and power management
* Runtime PM & OPP framework
* Thermal framework
* Power management stack
* Some discussion on scheduler type like CFS, EAS, SCHEDULE_DEADLINE & RT.
* Use PowerTOP tool to start working on power issues.

Over all discussion started with power management and went on to
topics like throughput, latency, hardware accelerators, memory and
scheduler.

After meetup ended still discussion continued on various topics
related to chip design, memory, cpu, caches and people started sharing
their experiences on various issues they faced and asked for suggestions.

Overall it was a nice experience and I enjoyed it :-)

Hoping to see all for next meetup, Siddhesh will send a doodle vote-up
for date selection.

Feel free to add if I missed anything.

Best regards,
Pankaj