[Kernel-meetup] [Kern Meetup Blr] Re: Proposing a Linux Kernel BoF in Devconf.in

Vaishali Thakkar vthakkar at vaishalithakkar.in
Tue Apr 10 04:00:24 PDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
<sid at reserved-bit.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/2018 11:53 PM, Vaishali Thakkar wrote:
>>
>> As you might know, Devconf.in [1] will be happening in Bangalore
>> during August 4-5, 2018. As we have at least 2 sort of active kernel
>> meetups in India [Bangalore and Pune, I hope I'm not missing any other
>> groups], I was thinking that it would be good to propose Linux Kernel
>> community meetup/BoF in a conference. Although I wanted to discuss
>> about the agenda before proposing it.
>>
>> To make it more productive, I was wondering if we can have 4-5 hours
>> of BoF with different talks/sessions [~30 mins]? I am pretty sure we
>> can coordinate regarding this with the conference organizers and
>> people at Christ university as well.
>

> That sounds more like a track than a BoF.  The organizers may already have a
> track idea in mind, so you might need to check with them too.  A BoF session
> is typically more open ended.

Yes, I know that but their Google form allows to apply for a BoF session
of 3 or more hours as well and I was under the impression that BoF
sessions are typically under 3 hours. I also checked with them and they
said that there is no separate track kind of thing planned at the moment
for kernel/os/hardware topic. It'll be based on submissions they receive.
So, that is also something unclear.

This is why I thought that we can just apply for a space and projector under
BoF session and can then probably accommodate some talks with
open discussions. Or may be some topic based open discussion slots
without proper talk.