[Makers] GST on reserved-bit services

Siddhesh Poyarekar sid at reserved-bit.com
Wed Jul 5 00:10:19 PDT 2017

Hi,

After long consultations with our accountants, it has come to light that
we will have to charge GST on all our products.  This unfortunate event
happened because of having to voluntarily apply for CST/VAT for
inter-state sales in the old tax regime.  This was OK in the old tax
regime for memberships and event tickets since they are services and
hence did not require ST registration then.  With GST however services
and products get folded into one and as a result we find ourselves
registered to collect taxes for services before we are financially
eligible for it.

There seems to be no way currently to withdraw the GST number as of now.
 The tax amount is also too high for us to absorb in our already rock
bottom membership costs, so we are left with no choice but to pass the
tax on to members, as is intended by the GST law.

Going forward, all our subscriptions and event tickets will have an
additional tax component that will be shown during checkout.

Siddhesh