[Kernel-meetup] 101 workshops (was Re: Added new topic)

Nitin Bansal nb at randomsearch.org
Thu Apr 13 10:49:57 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Nitin Bansal <nb at randomsearch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
>> <sid at reserved-bit.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> On a related note, what do people think about doing such 101 sessions
>>> once during the meetup and then reserved-bit conducting paid workshops
>>> for them whenever they're requested again in future?  That will allow
>>> the group to continue making forward progress and whoever wants a basic
>>> 101 session repeated can attend these workshops.  This will also
>>> contribute a little bit in helping the space sustain itself.
>>
>> I support this with a caveat - the presenter should make the material
>> available through a permissive license (which might be the case most
>> of the time since they're allowing you to record/live stream it). In
>> _some_ cases, we might get people who're into the training business
>> themselves and they might not want to share the materials. We don't
>> want to discount this possibility.
>>
>> On a related not, I have a proposal for the community - a small
>> contribution for the kernel meetup when we host it at the reserved-bit
>> premises. Think of it as a little help to allow Nisha and Siddhesh to
>> pay for the AC, wifi, tea/coffee during the 3 hours of great
>> conversations we have there.
>>
>> Say, Rs. 100 if you're employed and Rs. 25 if you're a student? We
>> wouldn't actually police the contributions but use a honour system[1].
>>

> Sure, money part makes sense.
>
> However I do have an objection over the recording and have a request
> about the same, can that youtube video be pulled, edited to cut the
> portion of my session and then re-uploaded? I am willing to do more
> sessions like that but I am sorry, recording is not my thing. Instead
> of recording, I am ready to prepare and share a detailed write-up
> along with a terminal recording, which I think audience will find more
> interesting.

Forgot to mention, I am not really looking out for any sort of
monetary benefit out of these sessions/meetings (I won't be available
to conduct or attend paid workshops), but I am available to be part of
this as a PLUG group where I can freely share what little knowledge I
have and be part of the conversation (100 Rs contribution sounds fair
to me).

Regards,
Nitin Bansal