[Kernel-meetup] 101 workshops (was Re: Added new topic)

Pankaj Gupta pagupta at redhat.com
Fri Apr 14 00:21:02 PDT 2017

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar
> <sid at reserved-bit.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 April 2017 08:46 AM, Amit Ghadge wrote:
> >> I was added new topic "Kernel compilation and testing" on
> >> https://ideas.reserved-bit.com/w/Kernel_Meetup_Topic_Proposals_-_2017.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > On a related note, what do people think about doing such 101 sessions
> > once during the meetup and then reserved-bit conducting paid workshops
> > for them whenever they're requested again in future?  That will allow
> > the group to continue making forward progress and whoever wants a basic
> > 101 session repeated can attend these workshops.  This will also
> > contribute a little bit in helping the space sustain itself.
>
> I support this with a caveat - the presenter should make the material
> available through a permissive license (which might be the case most
> of the time since they're allowing you to record/live stream it). In
> _some_ cases, we might get people who're into the training business
> themselves and they might not want to share the materials. We don't
> want to discount this possibility.

Agree.

I think meetup technical community discussions and paid membership/training
are two separate topics and I am more interested in first one... :-)

I am more interested if more skilled people will join and we will have
constructive discussions on various intermediate/advanced technical topics.

Personally, I am also not very fond of live streaming and recording
on these informal discussions.

> On a related not, I have a proposal for the community - a small
> contribution for the kernel meetup when we host it at the reserved-bit
> premises. Think of it as a little help to allow Nisha and Siddhesh to
> pay for the AC, wifi, tea/coffee during the 3 hours of great
> conversations we have there.
>
> Say, Rs. 100 if you're employed and Rs. 25 if you're a student? We
> wouldn't actually police the contributions but use a honour system[1].
>
> Would this fee be acceptable to folks?

This makes sense.