[Kernel-meetup] Need help formalizing the hardware caching assignment

Amit Kucheria amit.kucheria at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 01:04:06 PDT 2017

Hi Chaitanya,

The formal problem definition could be as follows:
Find all the sources of caching on a running Linux system (HW and SW)
and instrument them to find out how much of an effect them have on
overall system performance.

So here is how I'd go about it:

1. Find everything in your PC that has a cache.
    a. Start with HW e.g CPU, Harddrives (e.g. read look ahead feature)
    b. Next the SW: e.g. various kernel subsystems (VFS layer,
filesystems, virtual memory mangement, page cache, buffer cache),
userspace (e.g. glibc)
2. Create a spreadsheet with a list of all caches
3. Find ways to disable each of them e.g.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/01/disable-disk-caching-prevent-data-loss/
and hdparm -A0
4. Find interesting usecases to testing the effect of caching with
(start with something as simple as playing an mp3 or video file)

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers,
Amit