[Makers] Workshops at reserved-bit next weekend

Siddhesh Poyarekar sid at reserved-bit.com
Sat Jul 22 12:01:51 PDT 2017

Hi,

July was a relatively quiet month as far as workshops were concerned but
our weekends were very busy with meetups for PyLadies, Kernel, Machine
Learning and IoT.  We have a couple of workshops lined up for the end of
the month, so sign up and make the most of them!

Watch out for August too as our calendar fills up with more interesting
meetups and workshops.

Siddhesh

29th July: OS Basics with GNU Linux
Price: ₹500 (Free for reserved-bit members, email me or Nisha)
Lunch Included
Tickets: https://reserved-bit.com/event/os-basics-with-gnulinux/

This is a session on Operating Systems internals and functioning.  In
this session we will peel through the various layers of the GNU/Linux
Operating System and understand the various parts of the OS with live
hands-on examples. Here are some topics we will look at:

• What is an Operating System
• The OS boot process
• Programs and Libraries
• Going deeper, anatomy of a process
• How programs start and execute in memory

30th July: 3D printing – Future of things – hands on workshop
Price: ₹2,500 + GST
Tickets:
https://reserved-bit.com/event/3d-printing-future-of-things-hands-on-workshop/
Lunch Included

The 3D printing workshop is back!  Here is your chance to get your
hands-on experience of using a 3D printer and understanding the complete
process involved.

This workshop is suitable for anyone with an interest in 3D printing –
novices or those with a deeper understanding, hobbyists, designers,
hackers, engineers – everyone should participate.

Things you will learn at the workshop:

a. Input: How to go from an idea to a 3D design on a CAD software.
Things to consider while designing like supports, strength of the
material and orientation of the print for best finish. We will also look
at online pool of design from thingiverse and how to customise and
personalise.

b. Data preparation: The process of slicing a print from a .STL file to
either a .Gcode or any other file depending on the printer we use. Each
printer has its own format we will look at a couple of these. What are
the various things to keep in mind like infill, infill design and supports.

c. Output: The participants will be exposed to using the 3D printer
where they can fire their print. Also how to use the printer in general
like loading filaments, bed leveling and calibration.